Blog

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning at disconnected vent pipe at furnace

Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur even when the amount of carbon monoxide gas in the air is not high enough to trigger a carbon monoxide detector. Believe it or not, this is a much more common problem in homes than people realize.

Don’t trust your carbon monoxide detector

Carbon monoxide detectors cannot be relied upon because most instances where carbon monoxide poisoning occurs, the levels of the gas are not sufficiently high enough to trigger a carbon monoxide alarm. The primary purpose of a carbon monoxide detector is to save lives when high, lethal levels of carbon monoxide gas are present indoors, not to protect your health.

Low-level carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms include:

  • Headaches
  • Migraines
  • Memory loss
  • ADD and ADHD
  • Alzheimer’s disease
  • Chronic fatigue
  • Check your furnace and water heater vent pipes

Carbon monoxide gas is invisible, but telltale signs of carbon monoxide exposure are often visible. One of the pieces of evidence I often see in homes is when exhaust vent pipe connections for furnaces and water heaters are overlooked during installation and left unglued. I discovered these at the appliances as well as outdoors where the exhaust vent pipes penetrate through exterior walls and rooftops. This allows the pipes to dangerously come apart.

Carbon monoxide poisoning at disconnected vent pipe at furnace

The separated furnace exhaust vent pipes shown in the very first photo in this blog post were never properly glued together when the furnace was installed. I did not see evidence of glue at the joints so I merely touched the pipe and the pipes immediately came apart.

This separation could have happened at any time by someone unknowingly bumping the pipe or even from the vibration of the furnace blower motor. Had I not discovered this, at some point in the future the furnace would have blown poisonous carbon monoxide gas directly into the air of the home and my client would likely have been found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Check the pipes outdoors too

Carbon monoxide poisoning disconnected furnace vent pipe outdoors

carbon monoxide poisoning furnace vent pipe outdoors

Be sure to check furnace and water heater vent pipes outdoors where the pipes penetrate through exterior walls. Pipes that are not glued outdoors can damage the interior of a furnace or water heater which can then introduce poisonous carbon monoxide gas indoors.

How to inspect your vent pipes

I recommend performing a visual inspection of vent pipe joints for residual adhesive glue. You should see some residual glue that oozed out of the joints during assembly.

If you do not see evidence of adhesive glue, I recommend holding the vent pipes with your hands and trying to twist or pull them apart at the joints. If the pipes were properly glued, they should not budge.

Check for debris particles or corrosion at appliance vents

Negative indoor air pressure is a very common problem homes that can prevent appliance exhaust from venting correctly to the outdoors, and as a result, poison the air indoors with carbon monoxide gas. This occurs whenever the interior of a home is depressurized while using bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans, fireplaces, and especially clothes dryers.

The phenomenon that prevents carbon monoxide gas from venting to the outdoors is known as back-drafting. When this occurs there is usually visible evidence of corrosion or debris particles in or on the appliances.

Check for soot stains on appliances

Soot discoloration can occur on appliances as an indication that combustion emissions are not exiting the home correctly. Usually, this occurs at the appliance access doors as shown in the photos.

When back-drafting conditions occur on your appliances, you can be sure poisonous carbon monoxide gas is staying inside your home.

 

Subscribe for more free air quality tips

You can receive quick reads of helpful information simply by subscribing. It’s a great way to continue learning ways to improve the air quality in your home.

 

Would you like to learn more right away…for free?

Download your complimentary copy of one of the most helpful books you’ll ever read on indoor air quality by clicking this link:  6 Steps to Healthy Indoor Air.

Steps for Healthy Indoor Air

This book is my gift to everyone who wants to prevent or is already suffering from, allergy symptoms, asthma symptoms, headaches, migraines, ADD, ADHD, sinus infection, ear infection, memory loss, Alzheimer’s disease, insomnia, and cancer.

This is not a ho-hum book. It’s based on over 30 years of home investigations and includes photos with detailed explanations to help you learn the right way to protect yourself, avoid medications with side effects, and not waste money on air filters or air purifiers that are not as efficient as implied.

In 6 Steps to Healthy Indoor Air, I will teach you actual causes of and practical solutions for poor indoor air quality. And because I offer this as a free book, I want you to feel comfortable sharing it with others you care about.

About the author

If you would like to know why I’ve invested my life into helping people, you can visit About or read what others are saying by visiting Testimonials.

Share this page

Please consider helping others by sharing this blog page with your friends on social media.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>